Sunday 20 May 2018

#WineRoutingWithLloyd - Creation Wine


I've only ever heard of the Hemel 'n Aarde Valley & I've drank lots of the wine that comes from the area. But this was my 1st ever visit to Hermanus. So 1st on my list for the area was Creation Wines.

Now imagine arriving at a tasting room & this greets you as you arrive.


Escourted to the best table in the house... Oh, I also just need to add this was around 9:45 am already. And my activities for the visit had been kept a secret, so I had no idea what I was in for.


Now how about this. A Brunch Pairing. (In my mind it was still pretty much breakfast, but hey.)

And did I mention that it's a 5 course pairing?  Something very new & unique that I had never experienced before, so I was quite excited to see what this whole experience had in store for us. 



Naturally, 1st a glass of bubbles just to 'line' the stomach. Then onto the 1st course: Honey Granola with a Passion Fruit Mousse, Cherry Pearls & Oreganum.



Paired with the Creation Sauvignon Blanc. What I loved about this wine was that when you held it up against the light was that the colour is a gorgeous pale yellow, but then every now & then you get a touch of a green that comes through. A distinct nose of tropical fruits, crisp yet elegant. With a bit of minerality that comes through subtly. This wine is crisp on the palate, with a very nice full mouth feel & a touch of acidity that pulls through on the aftertaste.

2nd Course: Green Pepper Puree with Asparagus, Smoked Salmon & a Poached Quail Egg served with Hollandaise.



The Creation Sauvignon Blanc Semillon was next on the table. This is a Bordeaux-style white. Again, a beautiful light-straw colour wine with a fresh & crisp aroma on the nose. Coming though on the palate is quite a few 'green' flavours. I most definitely picked up on a ripe green fig that's just been plucked from the tree & cut open. A very easy drinking wine that I can see myself sipping on, on a hot summers day.


3rd Course: Brioche French Toast with Smoked Duck Breast, Maple Syrup, Raspberry Powder served alongside King Oyster Mushroom Chips.



Probably served with my favourite bottle of Creation, the Art of Pinot Noir


A deep robust red that when held up to the light is almost a shiny red wine. Beautiful dark red cherries giving the nose the full body, but a slight hint at rose petals giving the wine a slightly more light & almost feminine characteristic. A slightly more complex full bodied wine that has layers of those red cherries & plums coming through on the palate.

4th Course: Grilled Aubergine & King Oyster served with Prosciutto wrapped Fig, Gorgonzola & Sumac Puree served with Balsamic Reduction.





Paired with the Creation Reserve Merlot. Berries and lots of it. On the nose & the palate. Deep, dark, red berries. Even a slight hint of a fresh cigar box & some roasted nuts.





5th Course: Sweet - Milk Chocolate Cremeaux with Star Anise Cherries, Black Olive Shortbread, Pomegranate, Marjoram & Liquorice Foam.





5th Course: Cheese - Klein River Gruberg Gruyere, Black Cherry Preserve, Black Olive Shortbread, Marjoram & Liquorice Foam. 



Best to sip on the Creation Syrah Grenache whilst savouring the last dish of the day. A deep dark purple thought provoking wine with aromas of spices & ripe dark purple fruits. Most definitely a full-bodied blend made in a Rhône-style that leaves ripe plums & soft pepper lingering on the palate.



Then I was told that I simply had to try a small bowl of their soup, which is available on the lunch-time menu. A Cauliflower & Gorgonzola Soup with Blue Berries. I almost died. Burst of flavours & textures that will leave you wanting more. No wonder this is one of the most popular dishes on the menu that people come back for time & time again.  



So I have a lot more to say about Creation Wines. So check out the other article on Creation Wines here. (Oh & you don't want to miss it, I have an exciting competition linked up to that article where you can win some wine!)

Check out Creation Wines here.


#WineRoutingWithLloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment