Friday 14 July 2017

Maximillien - Balthazar Menu


Maximillien has a new menu to go test... 
What Chef Sylvester Nair has christened, the Balthazar, Ala Carte Menu has a great variety of meals on there to keep you warm this & satisfied this winter. It's no lie that I love going to the Maximillien for a night out. I mean, can you blame me, just look at what it looks like when you are sitting there in the evening.


Let's kick it off with some of my favourite starters. 

Wagyu Beef Tartare
Served with a pan-fried cos lettuce & whipped egg. Simple & elegant plating is always a winner. 

Halibut Ceviche
This white fish is served with lime & dill candy for some added texture. 

Crispy Calamari
Plated with red onion, zucchini & wild mushroom rösti & topped off with cultured cream.

Naturally there is always good wine flowing at the table. Tonight I opted for the Cederberg Sustainable Rose & the Anthonij Rupert Optima.


By now you know me well enough that I am always one to test out a few of the mains to make sure I can let you know of the best options & my personal favourites on the menu. 

Pan-fried Buttermilk Squid Tentacles

Chilli & Garlic pasta, preserved lemon & truffle oil. (Honestly probably my favourite dish.)

Line Fish of the Day - Sea Bass, Pan-Fried or Grilled
A plate with caramelised onion, grilled artichoke, green peas, fennel mousse & a red wine jus.

Cajun Confit Quail
Black Jasmine rice, wild tomato, lightly pickled berries & nasturtium leaves.

Braised Lamb Neck
A plate filled with root vegetable textures & herbed polenta.

Sole En Pappilote
A parcel with mussels, clams, white wine veloutè, tomato & spring onion. 

Naturally dessert is my favourite part of any dinner. Here Pastry Chef David brings out the guns blazing & surprises you every time. 

Brie White Chocolate Volcano
Flambèed Orange topped on a Parmesan shortbread with a thyme parfait & a black pepper foam.

Passion Fruit Tart
Finished off with Raspberry gel, Almond dust, Kiwi Fruit Leather & Seasonal Berries.

I must say, just writing this, has made me hungry & I think I need to pop in at the Maximillien Restaurant at the Da Vinci Hotel in Sandton this weekend for a bite to eat.  

Chef Sylvester definitely has outdone himself with the prep on this menu & I must give him 2 thumbs up for a great culinary experience that you will have if you go give them a try. This new menu has a few more surprises that I won't go spoiling, you should go check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment